The original 1900-foot-long wharf consisted of a waterside sheet pile bulkhead tied back to sheet pile deadmen and an independent crane runway supported on steel H piles. The 1993 earthquake induced soil liquefaction, settlement, and lateral spreading. The entire length of wharf and crane runway rotated and translated with significant damage to about 560 feet of the middle portion.
The damaged section was replaced with a concrete deck on pile structure. The finished soil slopes under the wharf and portions of the backland were stabilized with vibro replacement stone columns.
Port Authority of Guam